UL 325 - 2016
Monitoring of external entrapment protection sensors is required for all automated gate operators manufactured after January 11, 2016.
For additional information, click on UL 325 FAQs, Resource Documents and Video Links
Highlights Effective January 12, 2016
- Most gate operators won’t automatically cycle unless you have installed at least one and typically two external entrapment protection sensors (photo eye and/or edge sensor).
- The requirement for external entrapment protection sensors extends to slide, swing, vertical lift and vertical pivot gate operators. Barrier arm operators are exempt when an arm does not move within 16” of a rigid object.
- The photo eyes or edge sensors you install must be approved for use with the specific gate operator installed. Sensors proven acceptable are described in the gate operator's installation manual.
- HySecurity publishes an up-to-date table of the tested and approved photo eyes and edge sensors.
- UL 325 sets the MINIMUM standard of safety. You must also verify that the gate site complies with ASTM F2200. Survey site, usage class, gate type and other conditions. Design and install appropriate external entrapment protection sensors that address all potential entrapment zones.
Know how to comply
- Gate operator manufacturers chose one of three compliance methodologies:
- Normally Closed Photo Eye and Edge Sensor - The HySecurity NC Compliance Path
- Pulse/Frequency detection - other manufacturers
- Resistance detection - other manufacturers
- The gate operator will not automatically cycle the gate unless an indication that the appropriate number of external entrapment protection sensors are connected and operational.
- For HySecurity gate operators, all external entrapment protection sensors must be NC sensor outputs and wired to the SENSOR COM terminal for monitoring and powering purposes. The sensor becomes actively powered when the gate operator’s motor runs.
- A list of tested and approved external entrapment protection sensors is published by the gate operator manufacturer.
- Refer to gate operator manufacturer installation instructions for installation details.
Transition to UL 325-2016 - The HySecurity Way
Simply install a UL 325-2016 compliant HySecurity operator
Install the same ultra-reliable Smart Touch or Smart DC Controller
- We’ve always provided monitored operation as an option - now it’s the pre-programmed default
- Gate operator automatically “monitors” photo eyes or gate edges for proper connection and correct operation
Choose the eyes and edges you already use and trust!
- Trust in HySecurity’s ultra-reliable, time proven Smart Touch and Smart DC Controllers - the hardware didn’t change at all!
- HySecurity achieved UL 325 compliance with only a software update.
- Pre-2016 HySecurity operators don’t require any change. Our software is backwards compatible to older operators without forcing system modification to monitored sensors.
- Pre-2016 operators can be easily upgraded to current standard.
- Choose from a growing supply of highly reliable and commonly used sensor brands. You have the freedom to choose the newest high-performance technologies as they are developed and approved for use with HySecurity operators.
- Don’t be forced to buy from a limited list of proprietary sensors that may not serve the requirements of all sites.
- HySecurity gate operators have adaptable controllers that offer many menu options for flexible configuration of sensors.
UL325-2016 Frequently Asked Questions